Why can internal PC see open ports?

  • From: "Nigel Carroll" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:45:30 +0800

When running a scan against my ISA server's Public IP FROM PC (see
below) it reports that various ports are open which I'd expect to be
closed.
This is not what I expected as I'd like PC to be treated as potentially
hostile and don't want it to have access to ANY ports.
Could anyone tell me what I may have wrong with my configuration - see
below:
Thanks
Nigel

Internet

External NIC (Public IP in Subnet1)
ISA Server
Internal NIC (Multihomed with 1 private & 1 PUBLIC IP in Subnet2)
|       \
|        \
|         \
LAN     PC (PUBLIC IP in Subnet2)

To enable internet access to the PC I have created a packet filter as
follows:
Protocol: Any
Direction: Both
Local computer: This computer (on the perimeter network) - and entered
PC's public IP
In order to get traffic through I found I also had to enable a protocol
filter that allows everything but I restricted to PCs public IP.