Web Publish only works on ISA server

  • From: "Dan Bartley" <bartleyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:14:25 -0500

Hi all. My last problem turned out to just be a reboot needed. This one
is a little more config oriented.

I had 1 server I used for testing. It would be similar to an SBS
install, everything on 1 server. That has worked fine. Exchange, OWA,
Web, TSAC, all worked fine. I built a second server and added it in to
the mix. I offloaded web to the new server. Followed the instructions at
isaserver.org for the config (though I felt I already knew how). It
would not work from the outside. Internal clients could access the new
sites fine, but the external interface requests dropped off with "server
not found". If I move these web sites back to the ISA server, they
function fine with host headers separating them, etc.

I'm assuming that since internal could reach them fine, and outside can
reach them when on the ISA server, that DNS is not the issue. There is
one thing I never noticed before that does make a difference. When up on
the ISA server, I must attach the external interface IP to the web sites
as a second IP or it can't be reached from the outside. Obviously this
was my problem with the second server as I could not attach the external
IP to it's internal interface.

I now realize that the web publishing rules on the ISA server are
probably not redirecting the incoming and it is sending it directly to
IIS on the external interface, separating the sites based on host
header. The problem is I have no idea what I missed that is keeping it
from redirecting properly. Other functions of ISA are working properly.
Can't telnet in unless I make a specific rule, no ping, etc. Outbound
functions are working fine as I can limit, redirect web requests, etc
for internal clients.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I might look for why it is not
redirecting inbound requests for HTTP, but is redirecting for other
protocols?

Basic network config is 1 public IP with multiple public DNS for
different sites being directed to it. Host headers works fine for
separating them out.

TIA.

Best Regards,
Dan Bartley