Re: Web Proxy Authentication Questions

  • From: "Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CIT7)" <Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:10:50 -0500

It has more to do with the HTTP protocol specification.  A client will first
send a request without including any authentication.  If authentication is
required the server, www/proxy/whatever, will send back an authentication
required response (407, 12209, etc).  It then depends on how the client
application is written as to what happens next.  Most clients will see that
response, prompt for authentication from the user, and automatically retry
the request this time including the authentication header.  MS servers and
IE do this all in the background using Integrated authentication which is
why people using MS software don't see authentication prompts sometimes.

1) The "web log" can only determine who is making the request if the client
actually sends the authentication with the request.  All major browsers
remember authentication at least until the browser is closed, which is why
you don't see prompts for every request.  They automatically send it with
every request that is made to that particular server.

2) If a site is denied to any request a 407 is sent, it's the browser that
controls the prompting not the server.  The server just says that this
action is not allowed without specifying credentials.  The browser could be
written to just return the error instead of prompting, but then you'd never
get logged in without a manual login action.  Again, it's all in the HTTP
specification.

-Shawn

-----
Shawn R. Quillman
Robert Bosch Corporation RBNA/CIT7
38000 Hills Tech Drive
Farmington Hills, MI  48331
(248) 553-1164 (P)     (248) 848-2855 (F)
shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx