Re: WPAD

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:01:09 -0700

1. Drop the FW client.
2. Drop the default gateway to the ISA.
3. Drop the web proxy settings in IE.
4. Clear the IE cache, close IE.
5. Open a cmd window.
    type "ipconfig /flushdns"
    type "ping microsoft.com" (should resolve; fix it if not)
6. Open IE and try to go to http://microsoft.com

If your WPAD is set up properly, you'll get there with only a slight delay
the first time; after that it should be quite zippily.

What this process does is:
1. prevents the FW client confusing the issue
2. prevents the system acting as a secureNAT client
3. prevents the manual proxy settings clouding the issue
4. prevents IE using the "local cache" to deliver the page
5. validates your internal DNS functionality
6. the acid test

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4/2K), A+, Network+, PCG