RE: WMF Vunrability

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:32:56 -0600

Dude,

I completely understand. I've been in the same test bed. I think the
problem isn't so much a software one, but a hardware one. The software
always seems to be good and worked the way it should, but you know that
you have no security when the hardware isn't secured. In my testing, I
found that even when everything worked fine in the alpha, beta and soon
after RTM, control over access to the hardware was lessened.

It was at that point that the Event Viewer showed a number of access
violations. What was interesting is that the hardware tried to clear the
log itself after each access violation, which made it hard to
troubleshoot the problem. I have on a couple of occasions needed to pay
someone to take the system off my hands.

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Site: www.isaserver.org
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7