[isalist] Re: Virtualising ISA

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:24:47 -0700

That's the "conventional wisdom".  In fact, the virtual technology makes a HUGE
difference.  For instance, Microsoft Hypervisor is more secur(abl)e than
Virtual Server simply because of the greater isolation between host and guests.
 The same is true for VMWare server vs. ESX.
In fact, you *can* deploy a secure virtual environment, but as with any
deployment, you have to balance capability against functionality and security.
If you only consider server hardening on virtualized environments, you're more
(not less) likely to get whacked in virtualization, since your practices are
likely not current..
Say it with me; "Virtualization is not a panacea".  You can't simply migrate
all your servers to virtualized hardware and expect an immediate; much less
positive ROI.