RE: VPN lan conflict question

  • From: "Joe Pochedley" <joepochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:27:53 -0400

Depends on what the subnets of the two LAN's are...  You say "class c"
which usually implies /24 subnetting...  Therefore if your subnet is at
least 10.0.0.0/24 and the remote's subnet is at least 10.0.0.0/24, then
essentially 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.80.0 are two different subnets and routing
(VPN, whatever) between them will be OK...

However, if either subnet is 10.0.0.0/23 or lesser (/22, /21. /20, etc)
then the two IP ranges would be in the same subnet and you will have
problems...

FWIW, most people I know have gotten away from using the Class A, Class
B, Class C type designations because their usefulness has really been
outgrown and eliminated by today's address distribution schemes...

Joe Pochedley
A computer terminal is not some clunky old television
with a typewriter in front of it. It is an interface
where the mind and body can connect with the universe
and move bits of it about. -Douglas Adams