RE: VPN and XP $5 Question - a little off topic?

  • From: "Tom Mendelboim" <tomerm1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:25:49 -0700

I hope I understand you when you say firewall client. I'm thinking you
are using the personal firewall that comes with XP and you are calling
that firewall client. If you are referring to the firewall client that
ISA provides, ignore the rest of my mail...

Even if you are on a LAN and turn on the personal Firewall on the
client, the client can go out freely but nothing can come in
(theoretically...) if you want, for example, to host a website on the
client, you need to configure the personal firewall to allow traffic on
port 80.

VPN does not block anything between the client and the server; however,
if anything is blocked (such as port or protocol) on the server (any
server) or on the client, the communications will be blocked on that
port or protocol.