[isalist] Re: VPN SLow

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:49:37 +1000

About 12 months ago, I had issues at a site, where they were complaining
about a sudden slowness of inbound VPN connections.

After some hunting around on the server, and finding nothing obvious,
but first hand confirming that the VPN performance was indeed far from
what you'd expect, I spotted a newish looking empty box for an ADSL
modem, sitting on a shelf near the server. I asked a few questions, and
yes, it had just recently been replaced, and yes, that probably did
coincide with the slow VPN developing.

Upgraded  the modem to the latest firmware, and all was back to normal.
Seems the firmware that shipped with the router had an issue with VPN,
which a subsequent release of the firmware had corrected. In the end a
relatively easy fix, but not an immediately obvious one, as the modem
router was performing fine for WEB / EMAIL etc.