VPN Connections dropped

  • From: Ben Schorr <bms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:28:13 -1000

Having a new problem with our VPN connections.

Setup: ISA Server on a Win2K Server (SP3) Box.  Fairly standard VPN
configuration PPTP and L2TP (though we don't use L2TP yet).  Always on DSL
connection.
        Clients are WinXP and Win2K Pro, generally, connecting over
RoadRunner cable modems using PPTP.

Connection goes fine but for some reason anywhere from 4-35 minutes into the
session the connection is simply dropped.  No error, no warning.  Nothing
useful in the event logs on client or server - just that the connection was
dropped.  Can reconnect fine, but again 4-35 minutes later it disconnects
again.

Up until a couple of weeks ago it worked fine (for over a year).  Any
immediate suggestions?

The only think that comes to mind here is that we have recently done some of
the "Windows Update" service packs/hotfixes on the server.  Any of those
known to affect VPN like this?

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3
Director of Information Services