RE: VPN Client to Non-ISA VPN Network

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:42:37 +0100

Hi Daniel,

as always Tom is right ;-)

OK, ESP and AH are *not* port 50 and 51, but IP protocol number 50 and 51.
Maybe there still a little chance it can be solved, but it completely
depends on the IPSec implementation of the VPN client and gateway.

The problem is that ISA is doing NAPT and IPSec is *not* designed with that
in mind. If you like some background information, please visit
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipsec-charter.html .

Ask if the IPSec implementation supports a feature NAT traversal or IPSec
through NAT or UDP encapsulation of IPSec packets. This are different terms
for the same functionality. The concept behind this is that the IPSec
packets are encapsulated in UDP packets. The headers of this UDP packets can
be manupilated by any NAPT device without negative effects on the IPSec
packets.

Hope this helps,
Stefaan