RE: VPN Client Access Problem - Stops accepting connections

  • From: "Andy Winter" <Andy.Winter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:13:16 -0400

Tom,
I appreciate your willingness to help, but I'm still confused. Please
forgive the ignorance.
1. Are you referring to the DHCP scope that the ISA firewall is pulling
it's addresses from? If so, the dhcp scope addresses and the Inside
interface are on the same subnet (192.168.1.x).
2. Are you referring to the clients that are attempting to connect to
the ISA firewall? They are on external networks.
3. Are you referring possible IP addresses that are currently on the
PC's that are attempting to connect? For example PC1 has an IP address
of 192.168.1.100 on his own home network behind a cable modem, and is
attempting to connect to the VPN client which is assigning IP addresses
of 192.168.1.x and therefore the Firewall is treating it as an inside
machine?
4. Something else?

Just as additional information, this issue seems to only occur once the
server believes that it is under a SYN attack. As soon as the SYN attack
has "ceased" and the server is rebooted, everyone can connect. Only
those users that had a VPN session before the "attack" started were able
to maintain their connections. All new connections were denied.

Thanks!
Andy Winter
OPESNET