VPN & ADSL

  • From: "Belinda Metcalf" <belindam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:40:23 +1100

I have the following issues with a VPN & ADSL connection..

I have setup a DLINK ADSL Router Modem on our main network. We have
internet and email access without problems.
The DLINK ADSL Router is connected directly to the network switch.
Previously we were using a 56k modem and were able to use a VPN
connection to the network.

The VPN client which requires network access from a 2nd location has a
Alcatel Home Modem setup and has internet access.

When I attempt to make the VPN connection to the server via it's
external Ip address I got an error saying no machine certificate was
available.

So.. I installed CS and a user certificate on the client

Tried the connection again and then got as far as the Verifying Username
and Password part, the connection then drops and says The destination
computer is not responding.

So.. upon advice from the ISA server newsgroup on the Microsoft website
I enabled "Enable PPTP through the Firewall" and "Enable IP routing"
packet filters.
I also noticed that in the Server Publishing Rules on the ISA Management
console the "External IP address" is still set as our previous permanent
IP being used with the 56k modem. I attempted to change this to our new
IP address but it said The Ip address is not in the external IP address
array.

Does anyone have any ideas on this apart from installing a second
network adapter on the ISA server and using via the network adapter
(Microsoft Technical Recommendation)??

Help would be really appreciated...

Regards,
Belinda