Using FTP for File Transfer to the outside world

  • From: "KEVIN LOVEGROVE" <kevin_lovegrove@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:03:35 +0300

I get a fair amount of requests from users to send/receive 100mb+ files
across the net, and obviously want to avoid having them go through
Exchange. I would like to set up an FTP site and make this accessible
internally and externally.

I know I can use FTP User Isolation on my internal W2K3 network, but
what I'd like to know is that can I safely publish an FTP site through
ISA if it's actually on the ISA Server itself?

ISA isn't our frontline perimeter and it has loads of disk space and
plenty of processor and i/o capacity to handle the load. But doesn't
this create a significant security risk?

I'm not too worried about internal users. External users will be vetted
through Checkpoint anyway, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any
other opinions to offer?

Cheers,
Kevin