Re: Use two NICs? Convince me.

  • From: "JimmyJoeBobAlooba" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:02:32 -0700

KBs are your friend:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=838364
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840471

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandre Gauthier" <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 10:56 AM
Subject: [isalist] Use two NICs? Convince me.

http://www.ISAserver.org

Greetings,

Would anyone be so kind as to attempt to convince me that I *need* two
network cards in my ISA 2004 firewall over here?

(now please note that I did not design this network.)

The configuration is made like this. The servers and the local LAN share one
subnet (192.168.10.0/24) and are all behind a netscreen firewall. Somewhere
among the servers is a single nic ISA 2004 server with a gateway (the
netscreen). The client workstations use the Firewall client to connect to
the internet, for they have no gateway, and even if they did, the netscreen
is configure to only NAT out specific IPs.

So far, it works. With a few hitches, but it works. We can add filtering
rules for the client workstations, and restrict what we want.

Why should I add another card and redesign part of the network that is
already working?

(I honestly did not do such a thing. I'd redesign it, but my client is not
necessarily happy about this, and I need arguments.)

--

Alexandre Gauthier

Analyste Réseau/Network Analyst

Québec Loisirs