RE: Unidentified traffic to exchange server

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:32:52 -0800

In the case of ICMP, "source port" is equivalent to "ICMP Type" and
"destination port" is equivalent to "ICMP Code".
Thus, the traffic you're seeing is ICMP:5.1, or "ICMP Redirect: host".
It appears that you have some routing oddities in your network.
Since you blanked out the IP addresses, you'll have to go back and see what
traffic came from the host that the ICMP:5.1 traffic was destined for.

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!