Unable to connect remotely to SBS2000

  • From: "Jeff Lee" <jeff.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:22:40 +0100

Hello to everyone,

The problem I am experiencing is outlined below:-

One of our customers has Small Business Server 2000 and ISA 2000 installed.
They have access to the Internet and network resources work OK. DHCP is
assigned via the server and all DNS tests show as passed with no errors in the
event log either. DHCP is disabled on the router.

The server has 2 network cards for both internal and external connections.

The ADSL broadband router is attached directly to the external card.

The internal NIC has the following settings:-

IP OF NIC -192.168.16.2

SUBNET - 255.255.255.0

DNS - 192.168.16.2

The external NIC has the following settings:-

IP OF NIC - 217.35.109.233

SUBNET - 255.255.255.248

DEFAULT GATEWAY - 217.35.109.238

DNS - 192.168.16.2

When configuring the internet connection wizard in SBS2000, we have obviously
input the DNS settings provided by the ISP which shows on the 'forwarders' tab
in the DNS console as they should with the ISP DNS settings.

However, we have never been able to log into the ADSL broadband router
remotely, or directly from the server. We connected the router directly to a
laptop (which we gave a static ip address) and were able to log into the
router. The laptop is not on the actual network and does not have a firewall
installed. When we connected the router back to the server, we can ping the
router but not log in. But, after a short time we are unable to ping the router
from the server.

We have checked and double-checked router settings and believe all is as should
be.

If we set the laptop to obtain an ip address automatically, it gets assigned an
ip address, we think is from the router which begins with 81.x.x.x We can't
understand this as we have disabled DHCP on the router! There is no problem
adding PCs to the network, as they are done via DHCP from the server.

We think it may be to do with the ISA firewall, particularly as the web browser
page when logging into the router from the server shows 'The page cannot be
displayed' and 'HTTP 502 Proxy Error - Host is unreachable. For more
information about this event, see ISA Server Help. (10065).'

Maybe remote connections need to be configured in ISA2000. This we haven't
checked yet as we are quite inexperienced with ISA.

Finally, whether this is relevant or not. If we do a simple query test in the
DNS console and a recursive query test, they both fail. Yet, DNS tests in a
command prompt via dcdiag and netdiag, and the event log all show up ok.

Can't work it out.

Many thanks to all who took their time to read and understand our issue.

Thank you

Jeff