RE: UDP Question

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:46:12 -0800

Inline...

________________________________

From: David Farinic [mailto:davidf@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 2/11/2005 11:24 AM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: UDP Question

http://www.ISAserver.org

>"Games use UDP because it doesn't require them to write their apps to handle
>Winsock connection states, which are more difficult than simply barfing
>packets."

Hmm I would opposite that. If they would just barf packets soon nobody would be
able connect to server as it would be overflowed.
[Jim] - ..and they often do for just that reason.  UDP is, by definition,
connectionless - packets are simply barfed (see, I said it again) between hosts
without any regard for receipt.

Tcp/ip is much easier to code with. Almost everything is handled by it. To make
working/efficient UDP communication is much more difficult. Think packet loss,
data corruption/verification, delayed packets( disordering- over jumping),
pipe overflow etc...    but all these "troubles" gives you lower level data
flow control which means new features/options.
[Jim] - ?? TCP/IP is not "separate" from UDP; it encompasses it.  Also, it's an
extremely rare game that actually has hooks into the TCP/IP stack; they use
Winsock calls aolmost to a man.

And ONE of them is ability to make time sensitive data transfers  - transfer
where information has value only in certain time window. These are applications
with specific needs which tcp/ip as generic connection oriented protocol can
not offer.
[Jim] TCP/IP

0x56058's 2 Euro cents