[isalist] Re: UAG now "officially" in production at HoG

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:37:09 -0800

Not yet - BUT, I don't really "need" DA with what I have published through UAG.
 Does your DA model allow you to control what protocols and services are
available from your DA clients to the internal network?  Or does DA effectively
give the clients a "full pipe" to the internal network?  The latter is my
assumption, and it's kind of a big deal to me.

I would argue that TMG is "more" secure in that, as I have previously
mentioned, it gives you more authentication options.  UAG does not allow one to
secure the portal or any back-end web server by requiring a certificate to even
connect in the first place.  Yes, you can map certs to accounts in IIS, but
that is different.  If I could attach a cert to a trunk in UAG like I can in a
TMG listener, then I would be tickled pink.

In TMG, they brilliantly attach the client-side cert to the actual user account
created in AD; unlike most (if not all) client-side certificate implementations
I have seen (thanks Jim).  Normally, if one has a certificate PKI trust
structure, the cert itself is all that is necessary, and CRLs must be published
and maintained in order for them to work properly.  Meaning, if I have 1,000
client certs out there, any one of them could connect to my server if the trust
was there and the cert was not revoked.   With TMG, simply disabling any
particular use account automatically denies the certificate authentication.  To
me, that is a major plus.

Does the DA access put the client in a "VPN Network" like TMG does in order to
determine where people can go and what they can do?