Two questions

  • From: "Mercedes Clements" <mercedes.clements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:02:37 -0700

Spent a couple of hours troubleshooting ISA last night before reloading
and have two follow-up question:

1.  The Problem:  The on-board NIC had gone out in a Compaq server.  We
had placed an additional NIC in, but wanted to replace the on-board
(daughter board) before the warranty ran out (just because).  Before
making the change, we cleared the TCP data from the NIC that was being
removed.  After making the hardware change and reconfiguring the NICS, ISA
blew up and could not detect any NICs.  We had to disable RRAS, and then
after a couple of reboots it started generating useful error messages.
ISA Server Control would start, then shut down.  Initially we got an Event
ID: 14158, so followed directions from Q284831.  This caused the error to
go away, but ISA Server Control still would not stay started and displayed
no more errors.  Any ideas on what the problem was?

2.  The Reload:  Anyway, I was able to backup the ISA config, so I decided
that it would be faster to reload ISA on the server.  Proceeded to do so
with no issues, but when I went to restore the backup config, ISA said
that the server had a different array configuration and could not restore
the backup.  I did not reload the OS, just ISA.  However the server was
loaded in a stand-alone configuration.  My suspicion is that I got the
relaod error because I did not have the server loaded into an array.  Is
this correct?  If not, can you use an ISA configuration backup to restore
to a reloaded installation?

v/r,

Mercedes Clements, MCSE, MCT
Computer Concepts, Inc.