[OT] Track IPX clients?

  • From: "William Robertson" <robertson.william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:19:06 +0200

Hi there

I am trying to do a general cleanup of my network and have been playing with
NetMon on my Firewall ('cause in the end EVERYTHING hit's him), and I've
noticed that I have some IPX traffic on my network, most probably from some
printers, and they are broadcasting left right and centre trying to do
"Nearest Svc Queries" etc)

Now to clean this up I will simply have to disable the IPX protocol on these
printers, but with 350 printers in the company, crossing a 7km expanse, how
the frig do I know which printer it is? The only distinguishable
characteristic I have of these devices is their MAC Addresses, the rest of
the information appears to be IPX rubbish.

Does anyone know of a tool that will "broadcast for MAC Addresses" or
something? I mean, I know I can write a script to ping every single IP
Address on my network and then do an ARP -A to match the rogue MAC in my ARP
table, but this just feels a little time consuming... Anyone got any bright
ideas?

Cheers
William R.

Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the official
business of Columbus Stainless is proprietary to the company. It is
confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Columbus
Stainless does not own and endorse any other content. Views and
opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that
of Columbus Stainless. The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole
authorised recipient.  Please notify the sender immediately if it has
unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the
content in any way. Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure
the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted
electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no
liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or
data is,for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended
destination.