RE: Topic: Twin WAN Gateway Xincom XC-DPG602 (load balancing) with ISA2000 as DMZ internal firewall

  • From: "Ray" <rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:37:00 -0800

If it is DNS based (which looking at the website for it is looks like it
is), you have to make significant changes to your DNS environment to get
everything to work.  So, yes, the load balancer becomes the gateway as all
DNS requests are handled by the DPG602 in real-time depending on current
network traffic perameters that you set up in the device... AND all the
traffic from both connections is routed through the DGP602 to ensure all the
traffic is properly routed to both connections.

We use the Radware Linkproof.  It works very much the same way.  It is all
quite complicated, and requires coordination between you, whoever does your
DNS, and the vendor.

Your DNS will look something like:

This tells anyone requesting your www site that they have to go as
NameServer DGP1, or DSP2 (your new device) how to find you.
www        NS        DGP1
www        NS        DPP2

DGP1        A        IP address of first link
DGP2        A        IP address of second link

These DNS entries have to work both inside and outside your company if you
are running a seperate internal DNS server.

When requests come in for your www.stadiumflowers.com site, the DPG602
becomes the DNS authority and using its magic determines which route it
wants the request to come over the DSL, or the cable modem.  It then also
routes the traffic from both connections.  This is why it has to be your
gateway, as it is routing the traffic for both connections.

Ray Dzek
Network Operations Supervisor
Specialized Bicycle Components
PH:  408-782-5420