RE: To client or not to client?

  • From: Joe Pochedley <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:34:18 -0400

Ray,

I guess it partly depends on whether you want to be able to track, or
restrict access based on user names...  When using secure NAT, anything
going through the firewall client will be allowed or denied based on IP
addresses.  If you want to restrict the abilities of a group of users, you
will need to set them with static IP addresses, or on their own subnet, or
with DHCP reservations, etc etc etc for secure NAT to restrict the access...
Using the FW client, you can restrict any traffic by user name...

If you're content to let all the users run wild on the internet, or are
going to use the same access policy for all users, secure NAT will work just
fine...

I'm sure there are other pluses for the FW client, but that's the first
thing that comes to mind...

Joe Pochedley