[isalist] Re: Those kicks just keep getting harder to find

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:37:59 -0700

I see your pedantic and raise you another one.
I believe your cornfussion on this is what appears to be your
expectation that ISA should query anything regarding RPC.  The thing to
remember is that the only components in this chain that actually
understand the RPC within the HTTP are the client and the RPCProxy.
Could ISA be instructed to understand this?  Yes - but this is a massive
undertaking at the HTTP layer.

1. RPC/HTTP client behavior - it isn't that the client <may> specify
ports, it's that it <must>.  The RPCProxy must know how to communicate
with the endpoint service (as opposed to the EPM) and the client is
required to provide this information.  You do have the service / port
associations correct.  The reason OL knows about the ports is because
this information is hard-coded into the application.

2. ISA neither knows nor cares about the RPC end of the RPC/HTTP
traffic.  RPCProxy configuration - you have to instruct the RPCProxy as
to the valid ports used by application (actually the server) <blah>.  If
you're supporting Exchange, these are 6001, 6002, 6004.  No EPM is
required or used in this case.  If you're using TSG, the port is (IIRC)
3390.

2. OL use of RPC/HTTP vs MAPI - OL only contacts the EPM when using MAPI
(RPC/TCP).  When OL is instructed to communicate using HTTP(S), it will
*never* attempt (much less fail) to contact the EPM.  ALL OL requests to
the RPCProxy will include one of three ports; 6001, 6002, 6004.  You can
use WinHTTPTraceCfg to show this.