RE: Terminal Service Port Change?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:00:56 -0700

Normally I don't disagree with Tim cuz he's bigger than me, but given
that port scanning is absurdly simple (every script-kiddie worth their
salt can do it in their sleep) I can't see the value in port changing
for its own sake.
Even I can write a tool that will scan all 65365 TCP and UDP ports in
less than 10 seconds.
It takes very little more to make a few fingerprinting tests that will
tell me what lives at a listening port.
The time it takes to make sure everyone and everything involved knows
how to use it and that it's properly documented, etc., etc. just makes
it not worth the time any more.
If you have to do this because of resource restrictions, then so be it;
but don't play "port-games" just because you can.

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!