RE: Terminal Server Publishing

  • From: "Thomas W. Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:48:23 -0500

Hi Tim,

Check this out:

RDP and Firewalls
RDP uses TCP port 3389. Terminal servers are a highly desirable plum for
intruders, so you may not want to open this port on your firewall. Use
port translation to change the external port. If you want to discourage
connection attempts by internal users, change the RDP port used by the
terminal servers. This involves a quick Registry hack. Use Registry
Editor to locate this entry:
Key:HKLM | System | CurrentControlSet | Control | Terminal Server |
WinStations Value: Port Number
Data: d3d (hex for 3389, REG_DWORD)
Change the PortNumber entry to another port well above the standard port
ranges. Restart the server then use netstat -a to verify that the server
is listening at the new port and not listening at port 3389. Then modify
your clients to use the new port number as follows:
*       Win2K clients: Export the Connection Manager entry to a text
file (.cns extension) using File | Export. Change the Server Port entry
from 3389 to the new port number then import the file back into
Connection Manager.
*       XP clients: Launch the Mstsc client executable then specify the
server name, followed by a colon then the port number. For example,
S1.company.com:6500.
*       TsWeb client: Change the Visual Basic code in the ASP page that
makes the connection. Go to %system root%\Web\TsWeb. Locate the file
called Connect.asp and edit it with Notepad or vim. Look for a series of
entries starting with MsTsc.AdvancedSettings2. Add the following line
right after these entries:

MsTsc.AdvancedSettings2.RDPPort =
Test to make sure that you can connect with the new setting.
HTH,