RE: Telnet to website through ISA???

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:11:08 -0700

Hi William,

You have it wrong...  ;-)
THe only thing telnet is good for is simulating the TCP connection on a
specific port (can't even "do" UDP).
You'll have to understand how the browser and web server communicate and
simulate that yourself.
BTW, telnet deosn't "do"corrections; as you type, it's sent.
If you want a similar toy that's a bit more flexible, get
http://isatools.org/winsocktool.msi.
It's a toy I wrote that can act as client or server for any TCP or UDP protocol
and allows you to send any text data between them.
Since you're trying to "simulate a web session" this may work better for you
because:
- it allows editing before sending
- it saves a log of your session.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:47:28 +0200
 "William Robertson" <robertson.william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi Joseph, that's just the thing... Surely if I telnet on port 80 (telnet
www.someserver.com 80) it is exactly the same as opening my web browser and
connecting to that site? Or do I have it wrong?