System specs

  • From: pnoble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:41:45 -0000

Hi there!

We've got ISA2004 running on a windows 2003 server here. The system specs
are as follows:
Dell 650SC Poweredge server, single cpu 2.4ghz P4 with 1gb RAM, 1x 40gb and
1x 80gb disks.

Its running in standard edge setup with two nics installed. It runs as web
proxy to all of our 100 users (of which normally about 40 are actively using
the net at any one time). It doesnt have a cache configured.

We've also got Cyblock for ISA2004 webfilter installed.

Reading around I cant find (probably being blind) recommended specs for a
user base of this size and whether this system should be able to cope with
the load its put under. Experience here has shown that the system doesn't
really like what its being asked to do, the server is often very
unresponsive to gui input, slow to serve up web pages via the proxy and
flattly refuses to run correctly with a cache enabled or when a vpn gateway
is setup on it.

Looking at the spec I've worried that the single cpu is really bottlenecking
the servers performance and was looking for a bit of guidance as to whether
people think this system should be ok or if a dual 933 p3 with 3gb ram would
be a more suitable system for ISA to run on?

I'm suspect of the 650 because we bought 4 650's all at the same time and
the others also exhibit increadibly poor performance compared to what I'd
expect of a server class system.

Any help or direction to a useful resource would be much appreciated.

Paul @ reflections.