RE: SurfControl SuperScout web filter

  • From: "Joseph" <cismic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:35:02 -0800

Hi,

Just some observations as I work on my stat's package.

It is difficult for a tool to determine unique visitors to your site
unless you utilize cookies, database login's, digital certificates or
other methods to determine if you have repeat users to your site.

Some users bookmark certain pages and always return to those pages to
see if there is anything new to a site. Thus
http://yourweb/anythingnew.aspx sometimes wont' have much time shown for
a visit.

Content that changes more often will have greater visitors to a site.

Looking at only one log wont' tell you much from a visit.  I'm merging
IIS, ISA, SMTP, FTP, POP3 and the event logs into a database for
analysis.
With web publishing VCache, Cache and 304 mean that the information
won't have to download from your IIS machine which will cause the logs
to show incorrect bytes transferred.  So, if your monitoring bytes
transferred this could be an issue. I've not seen any package monitor
for cached information and usage.

No log package that I'm aware of, allow you to connect to a general
ledger system to create reports similar to cost of goods sold.  With web
logging the cost of goods sold are the number of hits versus what it
costs to support web connections.  Line cost, ISP, web servers, software
and of course people resources.  I've built in methods to allow for cost
of goods sold.

Sorry about the long post. I'm just showing some of the ideas that I've
been incorporating into my log statistics package and would love to have
any additional ideas that I could add to my reporting package.

Thank you,

Joseph