RE: Supporting ISA Server 2000 Publishing of Exchange Server 2000/2003 with SMTP Relays

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:01:48 -0500

Hey guys,

The SMTP relay in the back to back config isn't difficult.

External ISA
SMTP Relay
Internal ISA

On the external ISA you create a server publishing rule to publish the
SMTP relay on the DMZ.

You configure the SMTP relay on the DMZ with the appropriate remote
domain entires and cofigure those entries to relay to the IP address of
the external interface of the internal ISA firewall.

On the internal ISA firewall, you create a Server Publishing Rule to
publish the Exchange Server's SMTP service.

That's it for inbound relay. Check the ISA Server 2000 Exchange
2000/2003 DNS and outbound SMTP doc for rules requires for outbound
access. Those protocol rules should be created on both ISA firewalls, as
outbound SMTP and DNS are required.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder