[isalist] Stupid question regarding firewall client and VLAN topology

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <Andrew.Hodgson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:32:39 +0100

Hi,

I wish to get more out of our ISA server by allowing users to connect to
specific sites/remote servers, but at the moment this is controlled by
our Cisco firewall via IP and port only, and I wish to restrict to
applications and DNS names, something which I believe is possible via
the ISA firewall client.

Our current topology is as follows:

Firewall with DMZs.
Core switches acting as VLAN routers for several internal VLANs,
including a server VLAN.
Edge switches connecting to clients.

If we put the ISA server in the server VLAN, and have the other NIC
connected on the other side of the firewall, and the clients use the
router IP address as the default gateway, how will this actually work?

Thanks.
Andrew.

--
allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone,
Hereford, HR1 3SE.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.
Website: www.allpay.net
Email: enquiries@xxxxxxxxxx

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you
have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information
Security Manager at the number above.