Strange Problem...

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:13:31 -0400

Had a major slowdown of all web traffic this morning, so I logged into
the ISA server and checked out the logs.  There was a large amount of
NetBIOS traffic being logged, so I captured several seconds of it from
the firewall log, and restarted the server.  The problem has since
disappeared.

Here are two entries that kept repeating themselves:

Original Client IP            Client Agent      Authenticated Client
Service  Server Name      Referring Server Destination Host Name
Transport           MIME Type        Object Source   Source Proxy
Destination Proxy          Bidirectional      Client Host Name    Filter
Information            Network Interface           Raw IP Header   Raw
Payload     Source Port       Processing Time            Bytes Sent
Bytes Received  Result Code      HTTP Status Code         Cache
Information          Error Information            Log Record Type
Log Time           Destination IP    Destination Port Protocol
Action   Rule      Client IP            Client Username
Source Network Destination Network       HTTP Method    URL

24.213.58.250                                        GATEWAY        -
UDP     -
-                                               137       0          0
0          0xc0040030 FWX_E_OUTBOUND_PATH_THROUGH_DROPPED
0x0       0x0       Firewall 6/29/2005 9:07   10.6.8.72           137
NetBios Name Service    Denied Connection
24.213.58.250                Local Host         Internal - WAN Network
-           -

10.20.3.22                                             GATEWAY        -
UDP     -
-                                               137       0          0
0          0xc0040030 FWX_E_OUTBOUND_PATH_THROUGH_DROPPED
0x0       0x0       Firewall 6/29/2005 9:07   10.6.8.72           137
NetBios Name Service    Denied Connection                     10.20.3.22
Local Host         Internal - WAN Network            -           -

24.213.58.25 is one of our Public IP addresses

10.20.3.22 is a DHCP lease that was supposedly currently in use by the
ISA server, for VPN clients

10.6.8.72 is a workstation on one of our subnets.

There were no VPN connections in session at the time.

Anyone else seen something like this?