RE: Split DNS Questions...

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:01:24 -0500

Hi Ted,

Indeed, the best configuration is that you have dedicated public and
private DNS advertisers and DNS resolvers, and your Active Directory DNS
servers would never be included as a resolver, but instead would use a
trusted resolver that's a cache-only DNS server. I don't see it done
that often, but that's a good way to go.

I see what you're saying about externally hosted resources. In that
case, you would need to include the addresses for the external hosts in
your internal zone, but that's different than mixing the internal and
internal zones themselves, which is not what you're saying here. Good :)
And, you bring up an important use case that I forgot to mention in that
article, but will update it before publishing to ISAserver.org Thanks!

For the others, the key here is that internal users never contact the
external zone DNS server, and the external users never contact the
internal zone server.

Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7