RE: Some question on ISA Server funtionality

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:43:52 -0500

Hi Radien,

ISA NATs from LAT to non-LAT hosts. Routes from LAT to LAT hosts or
non-LAT to non-LAT hosts.

Packet filters control LAT to LAT and non-LAT to non-LAT communications.

Protocol Rules control LAT to non-LAT communications.

No granular control of IP address bindings with LAT. Access control via
packet filters is like with Linux, just weak packet filtering without
strong access control.

Firewall Client enables strong user/group based authenticated outbound
access and secondary connection management using a generic Winsock
proxy. Far superior to primative packet filtering which is ignorant of
application layer and authenticated access control.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder