Slow connections to java based web pages

  • From: "Carstensen, Pete" <PCARSTE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:33:10 -0700

We are experiencing numerous problems connecting to certain web pages,
including very slow responses or sometimes fully timing out.  It appears that
what these have in common are java code (JSP) authentication or SSL encryption.
 Sorry to not have much to go on but it is rather random but very persistent.

In talking to Microsoft PSS, we were told that it is "bad java web page
coding".  Ok, but on many different sites?  A bit hard to believe that it is
"everyone else's fault".

It helps to put in destination sets for the sites, but that doesn't fix it all
the time either.

Doesn't seem to matter if the user has the firewall client loaded or not, the
slowness is still apparent either way.

Environment:  ISA with FP1 loaded on W2000 Server, SP3.  Server is behind PIX
and then connected with (4) T1 lines bundled.

The ISA server does have web filtering software from Surfcontrol on it.  I have
disabled that to see if it contributed to the problem.  It doesn't appear to
but I would not rule that possibility out.

Where is a good place to start looking for answers?

Pete Carstensen, MCSE
Senior LAN Engineer
CSK Auto, Inc.
645 E. Missouri Ave.