RE: Skype?

  • From: Paul Robichaux <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:33:25 -0400

> From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:18:32 -0700
> To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [isalist] RE: Skype?
>
> http://www.ISAserver.org
>

>> I just downloaded Skype and have been playing with it-- it's a pretty
> slick
>> P2P VoIP tool. It works great when my laptop is plugged straight into the
>> DSL modem, but something it does makes ISA have heartburn. Their FAQ
>> (http://www.skype.net/help_faq.html) says that you need outbound TCP 80
> open
>> (already done), plus send->receive on the high UDP ports. However, that
>> wasn't enough to allow me to sign up for an account, much less use the
>> service. Has anyone figured out exactly which ports have to be open?
>
> Any software that requires a range of ports to be open incoming and outgoing
> has no place in a business environment, unless they work with the firewall
> vendors so they can be configured for application layer filtering.

Well, my business environment is mine, and there's some value to use in
using a client like Skype since we have people flung all over the place.

> However, this is from there website:
>
> "I can't connect to Skype from work or due to a restrictive firewall. Which
> ports need to be opened in order to use Skype?
> The Minimum requirement is to open up outgoing TCP port 80. In order to
> achieve the best quality, also open up outgoing UDP for all ports in
> stateful mode, so that replies to sent UDP packets are let in."

Yes, I read that, and I understand the security implications.
Receive-after-send is OK by me since it's restricted to particular client
machines. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually had it working.

> Now, if they feel that strongly about their product, why not work with MS or
> other firewall vendors to get their protocol configured and added to
> firewalls. That would make it easy to work with.

I'd like to see them support either UPnP or Rendezvous (err, ZeroConf).