Sharing Bandwidth Question

  • From: "Guinn Unger" <geunger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:52:17 -0600

This isn't necessarily an ISA question, but this group might be able to
help.

We have an ISA server with 3 NICs.  One to the T1 line, one to our local
network, one to the company next door's local network.  We have only the
default rule for bandwidth allocation in ISA Server.  (Nothing else
running on this box.)

Yesterday I started downloading Visual Studio (1.8 gig).  The transfer
rate showed that I was getting the full T-1 bandwidth which is what I
would have expected.  However, other people on our network got very slow
response, and the company next door really couldn't access the internet.
I was under the impression that under Windows networking if only one
person was accessing the network, then he/she would get the full
bandwidth.  If another person tried to access at the same time, then
they would share the bandwidth.  (Packets simply being processed in the
order they are requested.)  Also, yesterday my transfer rate would drop
after a while until I paused the download and restarted it.  I don't
know what that means.

We have a Linksys switch on our local network.

Can anyone explain to me how this should work?  (This morning I am
continuing the download and I seem to be getting about 300-500kb/s on
average.  But since everyone else has access I'm reluctant to change
anything.  It would be nice to get the full bandwidth though.)

Thanks.

Guinn

Guinn Unger
Unger Technologies, Inc.
Microsoft Certified Partner
Compaq Solutions Alliance Partner
geunger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ungertech.com
281-367-2477

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. -
William Butler Yeats