RE: Server published ports stop allowing connections

  • From: "Jay J. Mobley" <jmobley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:37:48 -0800

DNS going down would have the effect of taking down http, as well as
SMTP (and some others I am sure)
one thing I found that I thought was very intersting was that from the
outside, I could not do an NSLOOKUP
and a NETSTAT on the ISA server showed that there was in fact no
connection to the DNS server.
However, if I telnet to my external IP Port 53, then NETSTAT shows that
I have made a connection to my DNS server =(
Thats kinda why I think it has something to do with UDP.. but Im not as
up to speed as Id  like to be on how DNS works
wierd!
I saw some news articles that said disabling/enabling the DNS publishing
rule may correct the problem.
(rather than rebooting the server or stop/start the firewall
service...((both a pain in the arse))
but I haven't had a chance to see if that actually works.

Let me know if you find/apply that patch, and if it does anything

-Jay

Subject: [isalist] RE: Server published ports stop allowing connections

http://www.ISAserver.org

Jay,
        I am not really sure what we lost, I got a call this AM to say
the outside world couldn't access our websites. As the DNS is also
published through the firewall, it could be either the DNS or the HTTP
connection we lost. A simple restart of the services and all was
working. All I know is that we did not receive any email from midnight
to after I restarted the services.

I will look into this hotfix tomorrow (I'm in the UK and it's home
time). I thought I had installed all pre sp1 hotfixes, so I may have a
copy here somewhere.

Patrick