RE: Securing Remote access for RDP (Terminal Services)

  • From: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:31:05 -0800

I know Doc already replied, but to specifically answer the last question, Yes, the TSAC client will use the server publishing RDP rule to communicate with the terminal server. The client is (apparently) using the Web Publishing rule to access the TSAC itself, then, once the TSAC is loaded into the client's memory, the client will connect to the server using RDP.

A couple of Q's-

1) You don't have RDP bound to the external interface on the ISA server itself, right? By default, in Terminal Server Configuration, any server with Remote Desktop enabled will bind RDP to all available interfaces. If you are publishing RDP on the ISA Box, the external interface of the ISA itself can't be bound to RDP. If you do indeed have Remote Desktop enabled on the ISA box, go into Terminal Server Configuration, right click on the RDP protocol, go to properties, select the Network Adapters tab, and select the internal adapter you wish to use to bind RDP to. Then you can publish RDP from the external interface to the internal box while still allowing RDP connections on the ISA's internal interface.

2) The TSAC client can directly hit the external interface of the ISA box with RDP (3389) right? Some people tend to think that the TSAC does some sort of RDP proxying - it provides the client with the ActiveX control- the client must still be able to hit the ISA box directly... Can you connect with the default RDP client on the client box? (mstsc.exe)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raji Arulambalam" <rajia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>