RE: Secure Publishing beginner questions

  • From: Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:46:25 +0200

OK Tom,

I agree this article was wrong. I do not want to use client certificates.

But anyway, my problem is not solved!

I want to secure publish a web site using web publishing rules. If I
understand things correct, there is no way to just TUNNEL the incoming ssl
request to the internal web server. With web publishing its only possible to
BRIDGE the ssl request either as HTTP or SSL (establishing a new ssl
connection to internal web server)... Correct?

However, to terminate the incoming ssl request at the ISA server it needs a
SERVER certificate. I imported a X.509 certificate (exported from the
internal web server running iis 4.0) to the local machine in the folder
"personal"... After restarting the services and even rebooting the machine
it is not posible for me to set up an incoming web request listener to use
this imported certificate. I just get the error "there are no certificates
configured on this server"... I already read your "Questions of the week"
http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Tom_Shinders_ISA_Server_Questions_of_the_
Week__August_5_2002.html
<http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Tom_Shinders_ISA_Server_Questions_of_the
_Week__August_5_2002.html>  issue which covers this problem. But even
changing the certificate properties to "Enable only the following purpose
(Server authentication)" did not solve my problem...

I followed each step exactly as mentioned in your first book. Maybe you have
another idea?

Greets.

Christian