Secondary (backup) route to the Internet

  • From: John Bishop <john.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:39:34 +1000

Hi Guys,

Just a quick general question here - I don't need a detailed answer on this
(as yet!).

I've currently got an ISA box with a 2meg SDSL router connected to it,
happily providing shared internet access for our office. I'm not using
publishing or anything as yet (I don't know enough about ISA yet, and my
copy of Tom's book is still on order - *dammit!*) - the web and mail servers
currently have their own external IP's. So everything is cool.

What I'm investigating is the installation of a secondary ADSL connection,
to be used as an alternative route, should the primary SDSL connection go
down (as it did for a day and a half, a few weeks ago). I don't want to load
balance between the two connections; I only want to use the secondary ADSL
connection (charged per MB transferred) in the event of the primary SDSL
connection being unavailable.

Should I go ahead with this, I'll go through and configure server publishing
for the mail server, so that I could list one of the SDSL connection's IP
addresses as the primary MX record, and one of the backup ADSL connection's
IP addresses as the secondary MX record - and then configure the server
publishing rules to re-route those incoming mail requests to the internal IP
address of the Exchange server.

So! Having said all that, my question is this: I want to add a backup route
to my ISA config - do I need to configure a second ISA server (in an array
with the original server) to do this, or can I simply add an additional NIC
to my existing server, and configure it as a second interface?

Sorry for the long winded msg, but I wanted to explain myself clearly.

Many thanks,
John