SSL and Terminal Services/VPN problem

  • From: "Russ Highton Jr." <RussH@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:32:00 -0400

Group:

Here's a tough on for you... I have a web farm setup on a colocation facility
that I manage via VPN.

Due to costs, the server is setup in the following manner:

- ISA (yes on the same machine) publishing several websites, 2 of them have SSL
- 12 sites in all, only SMTP is setup as a server publishing, all the rest are
using web publishing.
- SSL is setup to listen on defauly ports, and terminate the request on the ISA
Server, by the book and instructions on ISAServer.org

- The SSL site that is crashing, is Published on the ISA Server, the Other SSL
site is on a separate internal server.

Problem:

When administering the machine via VPN then Terminal Services, when we log off,
ONLY ONE of our SSL websites goes down.  The other SSL Site stays stable.  So
far with the limited testing and investigation I've been able to figure out the
following:

- The server seems to fail on Log off of terminal services
- If I do a disconnect, I don't THINK it goes down, the problem is inconsistent.
- It happens sometimes when all I do is log on wait a second, then log off.
- The only error I can find in the logs is the typical "Cannot creat packet
filter" when ISA fails.

A fairly extensive search on google and isaserver.org has not been too
successful with this.

Any tips?
Have any of you expirienced this before?

Thank you,

Russ Highton Jr.
Systems Engineer