RE: SSL Problems with ISA 2004

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:18:08 -0500

Okay, here's my reasoning:

- I have multiple NICs for external networks (more than one ISP).

- Since I have multiple NICs, I setup a "Network" for each one of them,
listing the IP ranges that they should cover.  On the one I wanted to
use as the primary connection, I started with 0.0.0.1 and went up to
255.255.255.254, skipping only the ranges I had in use on other NICs and
private address ranges.

- Since each "Network" had its own IP range, and they were all covered,
I couldn't leave any in the default External Network (routing conflict),
so all IP ranges were removed from it.

- Since I had multiple External Networks, I created one Network Set that
contained all of them, and changed all rules that had External as the
destination to the new Network Set I had created for External Networks.

- At this point, traffic flow should have been covered in all cases.
When a web request comes in, it is routed to the External Network Set,
and that set should pick the appropriate Network to send it to based off
of its IP address.  So, since the default External Network wasn't
theoretically being used, I didn't include it in the External Network
Set.

- After working on this for a few hours, I could not figure out why it
was hitting the Default Firewall Policy and erroring out, finally I
added the default External Network to the External Network Set and it
worked. It was still being routed to the Default External Network
though, so I checked and found that IP was in the range posted as
"private". So, I went through and removed all the "private" ranges that
I had entered, leaving ONLY the IP ranges that were assigned to other
NICs excluded.  This fixed the problem with this particular website.

- Out of curiosity about web requests being routed to the Default
External Network, I did a search back through the logs and found LOTS of
packets were routed there.  So, I ran it for a few hours "live" watching
for anything routed to the External Network.  Theoretically, there
shouldn't have been anything routed to it, but I found that a sizeable
amount of packets were routed to the Default External Network for some
reason.  There were calls to many well-known domains being mis-routed,
including sites like Google, for which we have thousands of requests
being successfully routed daily, why do "some" of them slip past?

- I'll leave the Default External Network in as part of the External
Network Set I created, it shouldn't make much of a difference overall,
but the question still remains "Why should I have to include it?".