RE: SQLSERVE.EXE MSDE instance for ISA 2k4

  • From: "Mike Anderson" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:19:29 -0600

In cases like this, isn't it better to just run a dedicated instance of
SQL Server (if you got it) which resides on a separate box, OR have a
single instance of MSDE host both Databases?

If I remember correctly, MSDE is just a crippled version of SQL Server
7.0 - in which concurrent connections are just limited.  Otherwise, it's
pretty much the same animal.

In fact, since I have a dedicated super fast SQL Server on my network, I
was hoping to uninstall MSDE on the ISA Box, and redirect all the
Database activity to my SQL Server.  Can this be done - anybody do this
yet?

I don't mean to steal the fire away from your original post, but I think
this sort of parallels what I suggest doing, which goes back to the
question: "why have two instances of MSDE running?".  Use the one that
is working better (the one with less memory consumption), and host the
database on that instance.

I am just throwing out ideas here...

Mike