RE: SOHO

  • From: Amy Babinchak <amy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:52:13 -0400

I have used the SOHO2 and SOHO3 products. They are robust and easy to
configure. VPN setup was very straight forward. I was able to reroute
the logs to be stored on another server. There are so many wonderful
features. I own 6 of these. But there is one BIG problem.

I had one develop a hardware problem. It was under warranty so I called
support. I was told that because I hadn't purchased a service plan that
I had to use email support. No problem, I sent in my problem via email.
Well, a month and a dozen emails later I finally got a response. The
response was that they couldn't help me because only hardware issues are
covered under warranty. I explained again that it was a hardware problem
and they told me that they still couldn't do anything because I hadn't
purchased a service plan so they were unable to verify that it was a
hardware issue; they needed me to purchase a service contract because
they can't support software problems without a service contract and they
can't verify that my problem isn't a software issue without the
contract.

You see the catch-22 situation they were putting me in. After a lot of
phone calls and much yelling they finally did send out the replacement
unit but I was without a firewall for 2 months. And they still refuse to
support the product, even for a hardware problem under warranty without
the purchase a service plan. Even though the product itself is wonderful
I'll never buy one again.

Your alternative is WatchGuard but I don't have any experience with
these.

Amy