RE: SMTP could not connect to the DNS server '192.168.1.254'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible.

  • From: "Darryl Janetzki" <darrylj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:04:09 +1000

I resolved the problems

ISA 2004 has to have protocol rules enabled for the internal interfaces
of ISA and the Exchange server

Follow the article "Configuring an Inbound and Outbound SMTP Relay" Then
Create an additional rule    Exch > ISA SMTP

Allow  SMTP    From  Exch > SMTP RELAY and Local host

After the rule is enabled test the connectivity  (  TELNET  "HOST"  25 )
to the Exchange server and the SMTP relay to verify

The same concept is required connectivity to the ISA Firewall
installation client, RDP and DNS

I also had problems with installing the AV software on the ISA server...
Creating the appropriate rules to enable connectivity between the
appropriate servers resolved this issue...

Now that raises another issue The internal/external Web server was also
failing l .... What is the recommended practice for protocol rules
between Infrastructure servers, clients and ISA2004  I see these issues
as quite an important concept in securing ISA 2004 and enabling
appropriate access as most admins will probably create a rule

   (FROM)                                          (TO)

Server Name           All Protocols      ISA Local

  Internal                                         ISA Internal

Darryl Janetzki