RE: SMTP & POP3

  • From: "PETER PAPE" <papexpjboi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:18:45 +0000

To enable internet access on the ISA server itself you use packet filters. The following article describes the process. Hope it helps....

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/How_to_Allow_Internet_Access_on_ISA_Server_Machine.html

From: "Wayne Fogg" <wfogg@xxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [isalist] RE: SMTP & POP3
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:02:39 -0600

Hi,

I know that POP is used to pull mail from another server, and this is
exactly my problem. Let me explain what has happened further.

The server was running fine, all the clients could send/receive e-mail and
browse the web. The Server itself could also browse the web and
send/receive e-mails, however I could not contact Symantec antivirus ftp
site. This resulted in me re-installing the IIS and ISA Server, which has
resolved everything except POP3 access on the server itself.

So, now I have the following situation; all the clients are fine; it's
just that on the server I cannot access POP3. SMTP appears to be working
fine, in that I have been able to send e-mail via outlook. I just can't
get any pop3 incoming e-mail.

I have tried setting up packet filters, protocol rules, destination sets
but nothing seems to work. Unfortunately I don't have the original
settings from  before I re-installed the ISA Server.

So, basically can anyone help me with e-mail access via outlook on the ISA
Server itself.

Thanks

Wayne

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C34B00.7E2E90D0
>
> Wayne, Perhaps I should read all your message threads to understand totally
> your situation, but if I understand your question you are asking how to get
> POP Mail onto your ISA server, NOT POSSIBLE, POP ( Post Office Protocol ) is
> the protocol used by POP applicatons such as Outlook Express, it's purpose
> is to PULL Mail from a storage, like a mailbox
> it is NOT used for sending mail, that is the purpose of SMTP (Simple Mail
> Transport Protocol ) SMTP is used for sending mail, POP is used to PULL Mail
> off the storage, down to the application so it can be read.

<BR>

> [...]
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have managed to setup Packet Filters so that I can =
> surf the web on the</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Server, and I can send e-mails (hence SMTP is =
> working on server).</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My last hurdle is to be able to receive POP3 e-mail =
> on the server itself.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This is where I have fallen at the last post!! I =
> have packet filters setup</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for POP3 Incoming on port 110, but it still doesn't =
> work.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Does anyone have any ideas on where I might be going =
> wrong? Any advice</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>would be gratefully received.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Wayne</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT =
> SIZE=3D2>------------------------------------------------------</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>List Archives: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=3Disalist"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=3Disalist<=
> /A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ISA Server Newsletter: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp</A></FON=
> T>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ISA Server FAQ: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=3DFAQ"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.isaserver.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=3DFAQ=
> </A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT =
> SIZE=3D2>------------------------------------------------------</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Leading Network Software Directory: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.serverfiles.com"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.serverfiles.com</A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>No.1 Exchange Server Resource Site: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.msexchange.org"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.msexchange.org</A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Windows Security Resource Site: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.windowsecurity.com/"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.windowsecurity.com/</A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Network Security Library: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.secinf.net/"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.secinf.net/</A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: <A =
> HREF=3D"http://www.ntfaxfaq.com"; =
> TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.ntfaxfaq.com</A></FONT>
> <BR><FONT =
> SIZE=3D2>------------------------------------------------------</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>You are currently subscribed to this ISAserver.org =
> Discussion List as: gmaks@xxxxxxxxx</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To unsubscribe send a blank email to =

Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:<BR>
Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com<BR>
No.1 Exchange Server Resource Site: http://www.msexchange.org<BR>
Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/<BR>
Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/<BR>