SMTP Filter - HELP! (NOT config help)

  • From: "Edward Sullivan" <esullivan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:16:34 -0600

We are running ISA and IIS SMTP on our perimeter email screener, and using the
SMTP Filter to screen for:

*       Attachment types (.exe, .pif, .com, .vbs, .bat, and .scr)
*       Domains which we receive spam from (about 100 in the list)
*       Spam keywords (126 keywords in the list)

Any message that meets SMTP filter criteria is forwarded to a spam box on our
primary Exchange Server.

This server is not our firewall - we are only using ISA for the email filtering
functionality. The server hardware is a Dell 2550 with 512MB of RAM, and a 2
GHZ XEON Processor. Dual NIC's, of course. To me, this seems like a well-sized
server for the application.

My question is this - I have noticed that certain keywords are not being
filtered, and that messages that contain keywords are not being forwarded to
our spam address, and are instead making it to our users. Is there an effective
limit to the number of keywords ISA can handle, or is there a misconfiguration
somewhere? Has anyone else seen this behavior, and found a way to correct it? A
bug in ISA perhaps? (Heaven forbid!)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Ed Sullivan
Director of Information Services