[isalist] Re: SME LAN and ISA

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:33:53 +1000

nice argument! care to elaborate..

TM - i take your point about beta testers and less beta machine available to be
vulnerable but it is my hard and fast rule not to deploy beta software on
mission critical boxes. Mail/Firewall/Database/File etc..

These boxes of mine (big clients) generally operate on SLA's (24x7 99.9% etc
etc) which means that software that is run in production needs to have a
support contract, and these are not normally available on Betas ;)

If the firewall goes balls up, regardless of vulnerability, lets say untested
environment tweaks or configuration then it effects the whole network. So - if
you care about your business data, systems, security, integrity at all - Dont!

but thats my opinion take all then opinions given and weigh up your options..

Greg Mulholland

________________________________

        From: Gene Sibbs <gen_sib@xxxxxxxxx>
        To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject:  [isalist] SME LAN and ISA
        Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 02:25:59 -0700  (PDT)

        Greetings,

        I have attached a basic LAN setup  diagram and I would like to pick
your brains as far as the security is  concerned.

        My objective is that the  In/Outbound traffic must pass thru ISA box

        Base on the attached  design I feel that the security is lacking. I
have downloaded ISA 2006  BETA version...and I want to introduce ISA Server as
a member of the family to  beef-up security.

        How can I make ISA  Server 2006 beta play with this basic design,
bearing in mind that I  don't have a static IP address from my ISP. My ADSL is
dhcp obtaining the IP  address from ISP.

        I want to run ISA2006 on a  separate box completely.

        With many thanks!

        Gene Sibbs

        New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call  regular phones from your PC
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http:/messenger.yahoo.com>
   and save big.

        Feel free to call! Free PC-to-PC calls. Low rates on PC-to-Phone. Get
Yahoo! Messenger with Voice
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman10/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>