Re: SBS 2003

  • From: <thekevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:43:43 -0500

   I REALLY don't like to think about creating a single point of failure
anywhere,especially on my side of the Demarc. I get violent without access. I
would save your  soon to be freed SBS machine for other applications that don't
require GPO control.
1.Thought about acquiring a few Eval copies of w2kAdv.Server and setting the
Bios clock CORRECTLY on install? ...this of course on recycled equipment that
is capable of carrying a server to begin with.You need DNS ,Netbios on your
internal NIC,{turn it and filesharing OFF on the External NIC},Include your
External NIC after install ! in your LAT>turn everything else OFF,then install
retail or Eval ISA2000/2004 on each.
2.Check out Amazon.com where and individual is selling Standard ISA2004{OEM}
for $150 delivered. No arrays but at least you can have some functional {junk}
fail over standing by WHEN ,NOT IF,your ISA hardware fails. AS in ,all hardware
will fail and it's seldom at a convenient time.
3.I assume you do realize the pitfalls of running ISA and anything else on the
same server so I won't bother to ramble on..........as in a Firewall needs to
be a FIREWALL,not a glorified attempt at client side applications running in
the background.
4. Your much better off,creating a seperate  "ISA "  new forest domain for your
ISA to run in as it will be the first compromised { in theory but not in
reality to my knowledge historically};Hence,the intruder will have to "start
all over" after compromising  ISA which he probably thinks was/is your
web,exchange,etc. server.This gives you time to deploy your stand by {junk }
ISA machines for him to "get around"....as in where does your network begin and
end !!?!?
5.Surely, you won't install ISA as an Enterprise Admin{not an issue with
Standard version or stand alone install }as the compromise of that account nets
the entire forest{theoretically}.

thekevin